I have made vegan, gluten-free waffles before, but none compare to these. These perfect waffles are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, perfectly sweet, and undetectably vegan and gluten-free. Shall we? This recipe was a reader request. Someone asked if I’d tested whipped aquafaba (the brine/liquid in a can of chickpeas) in classic waffles, which I hadn’t! So I got to work testing. Obviously, things worked in my favor.
Directions0/0 steps made
- To a large mixing bowl, add gluten-free flour, oat flour, almond flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and organic cane sugar. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add coconut milk, vanilla (optional), and melted vegan butter and whisk thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
- To a small mixing bowl, add aquafaba and whisk vigorously or beat on high until soft peaks form. (It’s OK if they don’t quite form peaks – just get it as light and foamy as possible.)
- Add wet ingredients (excluding aquafaba) to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Then add whipped aquafaba and fold into the batter with a mixing spoon until just combined (see photos for guidance).
- Let the batter rest while your iron preheats – about 5 minutes.
- Once preheated, add roughly 1 cup batter (or until the surface is almost completely covered) to the waffle iron and close. My new waffle iron (which I love so far) makes Belgium-style waffles, so it flips the waffle over to spread the batter evenly, which helped these puff up and crisp up really well. Depending on your model, cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove cooked waffle from the iron, place on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200 degree F (93 C) oven while continuing to cook waffles until batter is used up. The recipes yields about 3 large or 5 small waffles (depending on the size of your waffle iron).
- Serve immediately with desired toppings. These are delicious plain or with a little vegan butter and maple syrup. However, my favorite combination is peanut butter and banana plus maple syrup.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 days or the freezer for 1 month. Reheats extremely well in oven on low-medium broil or toaster until hot and crispy.